… has many lofty goals, like extending the maximum lifespan beyond 120 years. While this still is a future dream, you already now you can extend the years you live youthfully and healthily and prevent diseases like Alzheimer's, heart disease, stroke, cancer and the malaise that often comes with advancing age.
Here are some lifestyle keys to a long life:
- Eat healthy, which for most people consists of a Paleo like diet.
- Practice portion control. Caloric restriction has been shown to extend life and to prevent many chronic diseases.
- Know your vulnerabilities. For example, high fasting Insulin, obesity, Hypertension and elevated Triglycerides are signs of Metabolic Syndrome, which is associated with Diabetes and premature aging. Or, if your parents suffered from a specific disease, you too might be at risk.
- Keep to a low-toxicity lifestyle in regards to smoking, alcohol and drugs.
- Eat organic and avoid exposure to environmental toxins like chemicals, heavy metals, pesticides and mold.
- Cope with stress by taking up meditation or yoga.
- Sleep at least 7 to 8 hours with sufficient deep sleep and REM sleep.
- Exercise without over-exercising.
- Keep your friends close.
- Cultivate a spiritual outlook that provides purpose and meaning.
There is no magic pill that will keep you from aging, but the following supplements will help:
- Omega 3
- Vitamin C and bioflavonoids
- Adaptogens like Astragalus and Rodiola
Fasting and Intermittend Fasting are popular health trends with a lot of intriguing research. Both have powerful rejuvenating effects on body and brain like stimulating stem cell release, DNA repair, increasing insulin sensitivity and mitochondrial function, as well as promoting brain plasticity and neurogenesis.